Embarking on your next global adventure?
At our local pharmacy in Hemel Hempstead, we prioritize your well-being. As part of our comprehensive suite of services, we offer professional Pharmacist Consultations for travel vaccination services. Stay protected and worry-free on your travels with our timely and strategic vaccination interventions. Travel with peace of mind, knowing you have taken the necessary precautions to safeguard your health.
Protect Your Health on Your Global Adventures with Nash Chemists
Introduction to Travel Vaccinations
Travel vaccinations are a critical aspect of preparing for any international journey. They protect you against diseases that may not be prevalent in the UK but are common in other parts of the world. By getting vaccinated, you significantly reduce the risk of contracting severe illnesses abroad, ensuring that your travels are not only memorable but also safe.
Our professional pharmacist consultations guide you through this process, providing tailored advice based on your specific travel destination and health status. Trust us to help you take the right steps towards a healthy and hassle-free journey.
Why Vaccinate Before Traveling
Importance of Travel Vaccinations
Travel vaccinations serve as a protective shield against potential health hazards that you may encounter outside of the UK.
Given the global diversity in climate, sanitary conditions, and disease prevalence, it is not uncommon for travellers to be exposed to illnesses not typically encountered at home. These could range from common diseases such as influenza to more serious ones like yellow fever, hepatitis, and typhoid, which can have devastating health consequences.
Vaccinations stimulate your immune system to create defences against these diseases, helping you stay healthy throughout your travels. Our pharmacist consultations ensure you are well informed about the vaccinations required for your specific travel destination.
Customised Vaccination Plans
As every destination is unique, so are your vaccination needs. Your travel vaccination plan should be customised based on the country or region you are visiting, the length of your stay, and your overall health status. For instance, certain countries may require proof of yellow fever vaccination, while others may have high occurrences of diseases like malaria. Similarly, the duration of your stay might influence your susceptibility to certain diseases. Our professional pharmacist consultations help tailor a vaccination plan that fits your individual travel and health needs, ensuring your safety and peace of mind throughout your journey.
Our Travel Vaccination Services
Comprehensive Vaccination List
We offer a wide variety of travel vaccinations suitable for all age groups. Our services include vaccinations for:
- Cholera: Suitable for ages 6 and above. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
- Hepatitis A & B: Suitable for ages 1 and above. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
- Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio: Suitable for ages 10 and above. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
In addition to these vaccines, we also provide specific anti-malarials such as:
- Chloroquine: Suitable for all ages. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
- Doxycycline: Suitable for ages 12 and above. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
- Malarone: Suitable for ages 1 and above. Pricing available upon pharmacist consultation.
To provide personalised advice on travel vaccinations, we encourage you to schedule a pharmacist consultation. During the consultation, we will discuss your travel destination, length of stay, activities planned, and your overall health to determine the most appropriate vaccinations for you. Schedule your consultation today and ensure your health is prioritised for your upcoming adventure.
Pre-Travel Health Consultation
What to Expect in Your Consultation
During your pharmacist consultation, our primary goal is to ensure your health needs are comprehensively met. The consultation process begins with a detailed assessment of your medical history. Understanding your health background is essential in determining which travel vaccinations are safe and necessary for you. Once we’ve assessed your medical history, we move on to discuss your travel plans in detail. This includes your destination, length of stay, and the activities you plan to undertake. All these factors play a significant role in shaping your personalised vaccination plan. Our aim is not only to protect you from disease but also to ensure you are well-informed about potential health risks associated with your travel destination.
Preparation for Consultation
In order to make the most of your consultation, there are a few things we ask you to bring along. Firstly, your detailed travel itinerary – knowing exactly where you’ll be, how long you’ll be staying, and what you’ll be doing helps us to accurately determine your vaccination needs. Secondly, a comprehensive record of your medical history, including any allergies, is invaluable during the consultation process. If available, bring along your previous immunisation records. These documents will help us provide you with the most personalised and effective travel vaccination plan. Remember, your safety is our top priority.
Vaccination Information and Schedules
Detailed Vaccination Descriptions
Below is a list of the travel vaccinations we commonly administer and what they protect against:
- Cholera: This vaccine protects against cholera, a bacterial disease usually spread through contaminated water. Dosage: Two oral doses, spaced one week apart.
- Hepatitis A & B: These vaccines protect against Hepatitis A and B, viral liver diseases transmitted through contaminated food and water or through contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected person. Dosage: For Hepatitis A, usually two injections given six months apart. Hepatitis B typically requires three injections over a six-month period.
- Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio: This vaccine protects against diphtheria, tetanus and polio. Diphtheria and tetanus are bacterial diseases while polio is a virus. These diseases are spread in different ways but all can cause serious illness. Dosage: Usually a single injection.
- Chloroquine: An antimalarial medication, Chloroquine is used to prevent and treat malaria. Dosage: One tablet taken once per week, starting at least one week before travel.
- Doxycycline: Another antimalarial, Doxycycline is also an antibiotic that can treat various bacterial infections. Dosage: One tablet taken daily, starting two days before travel and continuing for four weeks after return.
- Malarone: A combination of two antimalarials, Malarone is used to prevent malaria. Dosage: One tablet taken daily, starting two days before travel and continuing for seven days after return.
Recommended Vaccination Timeline
To ensure optimal protection, it is crucial to follow the recommended vaccination schedules. Most travel vaccinations should be administered at least 4 to 6 weeks before departure as some vaccines require multiple doses spaced weeks apart. The earlier you start your travel health preparations, the better. Also, consider potential seasonal fluctuations in vaccine availability. However, even if your departure date is closer than four weeks, you should still schedule a pharmacist consultation as it may not be too late to receive certain vaccinations or medicines. Our pharmacists will guide you on the best course of action based on your situation.
Additional Travel Health Services
Our travel health services extend beyond vaccinations to also include a variety of anti-malarial medications. Each medication varies in terms of dosage schedules, potential side effects, and effectiveness based on the destination.
- Chloroquine: Chloroquine is typically used for travellers to areas where Chloroquine-resistant malaria has not been reported. Recommended dosage is one tablet taken once per week, starting at least one week before travel.
- Doxycycline: Considered effective in regions with Chloroquine-resistant malaria. It must be taken daily, starting two days before travel and continuing for four weeks after your return.
- Malarone: Malarone is recommended for travel to highly Chloroquine-resistant regions. It should be taken daily, starting two days before travel and continuing for seven days after your return.
During your consultation, our pharmacists will provide tailored advice on the most suitable anti-malarial medication based on your travel plans and current health status.
Travel Health Advice
In addition to vaccinations and medications, it’s important to be aware of general health measures to ensure a safe and healthy trip.
- Food and Water Safety: Aim to consume only bottled or treated water. Avoid ice made from tap water, and eat freshly cooked, hot meals rather than food from street vendors.
- Insect Bite Prevention: Protect yourself from insect bites by using repellent, wearing long sleeves and trousers, and using a net over your bed in malaria-prone areas.
Keep in mind that these general precautions don’t replace the need for travel-specific vaccinations or anti-malarial medication, but rather complement them to provide comprehensive protection against travel-related health risks.
Booking Your Vaccination Appointment
How to Book
Booking your vaccination appointment at our pharmacy is straightforward and convenient. You can book your appointment through two methods:
- Online: Visit our website and navigate to the ‘Book an Appointment’ section. Fill in the required details, choose a convenient date and time, and submit your request. You will receive a confirmation email with the appointment details.
- Phone: Call our pharmacy at the provided contact number during our working hours. Our friendly staff will assist you in scheduling your vaccination appointment.
In both cases, ensure you have your travel itinerary and medical history ready to provide during your appointment for a comprehensive consultation.
The consultation fee for our travel vaccination service is £25. This fee covers a thorough review of your travel itinerary and medical history, personalised vaccination advice, and administration of any vaccines. Please note the cost of the vaccines and anti-malarial medications is not included in the consultation fee and will be charged separately. The cost for each vaccine is displayed in our pharmacy and on our website. Payment is due at the time of your appointment. We accept cash and all major debit and credit cards for payment.
Travel Vaccination | Travel Questionnaire
Please complete this simple form. Once submitted our pharmacy will contact you via email to book your travel vaccination appointment. If you would rather call the pharmacy to book your appointment please do so on: 01442 240 431